Theydon Bois Baptist Church began as a mission on its present location in the early 1880's. The very first services consisted of open air meetings on the village green. The church building was a small chapel on the present site and it became a formal Baptist Church in January 1894.
The first ministers at the church were lay preachers and student pastors from Spurgeons College,the first link in a connection that has remained strong through to the present day. The student pastor in January 1894 was Dr Frank Boreham who went on to become a prominent preacher, writer and broadcaster in New Zealand and Australia. Earlier in the 20th century the church has had either full time pastors or student pastors from Spurgeons College, however from the 1920's there has been a full time minister in the church.
The original building was extended and lasted until 1962 when the present building was erected. Halls were added to the back of the church in the early 1970's and the building has continued to service the varied functions of the church well.